Monday, September 7, 2009
NFL Power Rankings: Week 1 edition
1. Steelers: The reigning Super Bowl champions get the inaugural spot.
2. Cardinals: The reigning NFC champions and Super Bowl runner-ups hold the No. 2 spot until they likely drop down after Week 1.
3. Patriots: Tom Brady is back and the offense has improved. The Pats could be very scary this year.
4. Falcons: If I picked them to make it to the Super Bowl, I've got to put them high in the first Power Rankings.
5. Colts: Peyton Manning alone could probably keep them in the fifth spot, but they've also got Reggie Wayne and Dwight Freeney.
6. Eagles: Michael Vick looked awful in his first extended preseason action, but he's got two weeks to get straightened out.
7. Giants: Hakeem Nicks came on in the last two preseason games and Eli Manning has a lot to prove.
8. Ravens: The defense will be strong even with the loss of Bart Scott and Joe Flacco will only get better.
9. Panthers: Lots of offensive weapons as long as Jake Delhomme doesn't turn the ball over too much.
10. Vikings: The rest of the team is so good, even Brett Favre might not be able to screw their whole season up.
11. Titans: Chris Johnson and LenDale White look to supplant themselves as the best running tandem in the NFL.